19 December 2006
We at Sonae Indústria produce environmentally responsible wood-based products from sustainable forests and other well managed sources of wood fibre.
We adopt the principles of sustainable development and will use eco-efficiency as a reference to operate our plants to high environmental management standards.
We are committed to:
- The sustainable use of natural resources, including the forest-based resources;
- Operating our facilities in compliance with all applicable environmental laws and regulations;
- The minimisation of the environmental impact of our facilities on the local and global environment;
- Continuous improvement in environmental management by setting targets and measuring performance against those targets;
- Regularly reporting and public disclosure of our environmental performance.
To achieve this, we will integrate responsible environmental management into all our operations. We will:
- Define clear roles, responsibilities and accountability at each level of our organization;
- Set challenging performance criteria for each of our operations;
- Allocate the necessary resources to ensure we meet the performance objectives;
- Train our people in their environmental responsibilities;
- Develop and implement effective eco-efficient practices;
- Monitor our environmental performance and review accordingly;
- Invite our stakeholders to engage in our environmental commitments.
In this way we will create an environmentally responsible culture that will contribute to the enhancement of our sustainable business performance.